Ivan Gluch was born in Copenhagen, Denmark but came to Australia with his family in 1957. His Polish father Jan Gluck (1919-1969) was an industrial ceramicist who became interested in studio pottery and ran a pottery school from 1960-1967, first at Willoughby, NSW, then Brookvale, then Blaxland in the Blue Mountains. As a young man, Ivan worked as a tool and die maker in the plastics industry, and studied drawing and sculpture, at the National Art School, East Sydney, before re-establishing his father's pottery at Blaxland in 1973. In 1978, he returned to the National Art School to study ceramics. In 1982 he moved his studio to Glebe and assisted in establishing and managing the East Sydney TAFE Post Certificate Annex at Glebe. During the 1980s he built up a reputation as a specialist mould-maker, developing a range of tableware in porcelaineous stoneware, decorated with underglaze stains, gold lustre and clear glaze. For ten years, he shared his Glebe studio with Janna Ferris. In 1991, they started collaborating on a series of commissions, making slip-cast and thrown forms designed by Gluch and decorated by Ferris. In 2008, Gluch retired from teaching and now lives and works in Buckajo on the far south coast of NSW. In recent years he has been using porcelain to make small, wheel-thrown, carved and translucent vessels, as well as continuing to make a range of domestic pottery in porcelaineous stoneware. His works are marked with an impressed 'G' or a painted or incised 'Gluch'.