Henri Le Grand (1921-1978) was born in Zevenaar, the Netherlands. He studied art and ceramics at the Institute of Applied Art in Amsterdam and worked with the potter Emile Regout, and in the Goedwegen factory at Gouda, becoming a member of the Dutch Gould of Potters, and also working as a sculptor. He and his family emigrated to Sydney in 1950. In 1954, he joined the staff of the East Sydney Technical College, and was transferred to the Canberra Technical College the following year, at first commuting weekly, then moving to Canberra. He exhibited in the Olympics Art Festival in 1956 and the National Gallery of Victoria's travelling show of ceramics in 1957-58. By 1961 he was chief art teacher at the college. He liked to use local clays and minerals and native timbers for firing, making simple, strong forms with restrained glazes. In 1968 he retired due to ill health. In 1969 he was appointed M.B.E. for services to the arts. His works are incised 'HLE' or 'HLE Canberra'.